- punctuation mark
- nounthe marks used to clarify meaning by indicating separation of words into sentences and clauses and phrases (Freq. 1)• Syn: ↑punctuation• Derivationally related forms: ↑punctuate (for: ↑punctuation)• Hypernyms: ↑mark• Hyponyms:↑ampersand, ↑apostrophe, ↑brace, ↑bracket, ↑square bracket, ↑angle bracket, ↑colon, ↑comma, ↑exclamation mark, ↑exclamation point, ↑hyphen, ↑dash, ↑parenthesis, ↑period, ↑point, ↑full stop, ↑stop, ↑full point, ↑question mark, ↑interrogation point, ↑quotation mark, ↑quote, ↑inverted comma, ↑semicolon, ↑solidus, ↑slash, ↑virgule, ↑diagonal, ↑stroke, ↑separatrix, ↑swung dash• Part Holonyms: ↑orthography, ↑writing system
* * *noun: any of various standardized marks or signs used in punctuation — compare apostrophe, brace, bracket, colon, comma, dash, diagonal, ellipsis, exclamation point, hyphen, parenthesis, period, question mark, quotation mark, semicolon, virgule
* * *any of a group of conventional marks or characters used in punctuation, as the period, comma, semicolon, question mark, or dash.[1855-60]
* * *punctuation mark nounAny of the points or marks used in punctuating writing• • •Main Entry: ↑punctuate
* * *punctuation mark UK US noun [countable] [singular punctuation mark plural punctuation marks]a mark such as a full stop , comma , or question mark that you use in order to write in a clear styleThesaurus: punctuationhyponym
* * *noun, pl ⋯ marks [count]: any one of the marks (such as a period, comma, or question mark) used to divide a piece of writing into sentences, clauses, etc.
* * *ˌpunctuˈation mark [punctuation mark] nouna sign or mark used in writing to divide sentences and phrases
punctuation marks such as full stops and commas
Useful english dictionary. 2012.